Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Lamentation of Mount Roraima

I recently found out about an expedition to Mount Roraima in Venezuela in the month of April. It would have been one of those "trips of a lifetime" to go explore one of the grandest tepuis in South America. On the mountain there is a fantastical array of fauna, flora and earthly formations. For carnivorous plant nuts such as myself, we would have the opportunity to see Heliamphora, Drosera, Utricularia and even some carnivorous bromeliads. To top it all off, the trip was being lead by Stewart McPherson (author of such books as Pitcher Plants of the Americas and Glistening Carnivores)!!! It also happens to be the 100th anniversary of Arthur Conan Doyle's book The Lost World, which was inspired by Mount Roraima. As some would say, this would have been a trip of EPIC proportions. But alas, I got ahead of myself and later realized that it just wasn't in my budget to go on the trip at this time. SIGH. :( I estimate the total cost to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $6,000. I hope they have another trip there in the near future but that, presently, is still unknown. I urge anyone with the funds to contact Stewart McPherson right away to see if there still might be an opening in one of the two expeditions headed to Mount Roraima in April. For now I'll have to make due with this Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor in my living room...


No comments: